'If you have 3 of something, it's a collection.' - some vendor on Etsy

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Petra, Jordan

My dad was an MP in the Service before I was born. He had casually mentioned serving in North Africa after the Korean War. I wasn’t paying attention. My dad is gone now, as is most of that side of the family. Plenty of hair and big Kennedy teeth, but not a longevity gene in sight. Years after his death, my cousin Scott, (also gone), sent me some pictures of my Dad during his tour of service. Apparently at one point in my father’s life he was sporting a unibrow and he and his unibrow got around. There are pictures of Dad with a unibrow in Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, The Sinai, etc. etc. etc. and my favorite, Petra Jordan. Famous for its rock cut architecture and described as the ‘rose-red city half as old as time, it is the place I would most like to bring a sleeping bag and sleep under the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment